In May 2020, the Craig H. Neilsen Rehabilitation Hospital opened its doors at Craig H. Neilsen’s alma mater, the University of Utah. The University was an important institution to Craig during his lifetime. He received both an MBA and a JD from the University as well as some of his rehabilitation following his accident.
The Craig H. Neilsen Rehabilitation Hospital focuses on preserving, enhancing, and restoring the quality of life for people with disabling conditions. The hospital’s dedicated teams are composed of regionally and nationally respected specialists committed to supporting patients and families from acute rehabilitation through wellness and independence. The 75-bed hospital is one of the most advanced rehabilitation facilities in the nation and the foremost destination in the Mountain West for patients recovering from and adjusting to life-altering injuries and conditions.
The hospital features state-of-the-art rehabilitation services, including:
- Smart-technology patient rooms – Every patient room is fully customizable to an individual’s needs—with technology to encourage activity and promote independence.
- State-of-the-art gym – A spacious gym supports both physical and occupational therapy exercise regiments and includes an advanced Zero-G track to help patients regain mobility and learn to walk again.
- Mobility garage – The hospital is the only one in the nation with a multi-function garage to help patients learn how to use a wide range of mobility devices—from cars and off-road wheelchairs to hand-powered bicycles.
- Outdoor therapy terrace and garden – An invigorating outdoor therapy terrace and the tranquil Beth Hersh Goldsmith Garden will host outdoor functionality training in a picturesque Salt Lake Valley environment.
- Digital innovation lab – It features a mechanical and bioengineering lab where scientists and engineers will work to improve robotic and prosthetic technologies for replacing lost limbs and organ function.